KitchenSync is constantly being updated, improved, and tweaked based on feedback from customers like you. This post details all of the recent feature additions and changes. Check back in from time to time to see what's new.
- Bug fix on prime cost dashboard report - We reworked the display of the prime cost tile on the reporting dashboard to prevent graph titles from overlapping.
- Prime cost export upgrade - Exports of the Prime Cost report in the 'Finance & Accounting' tab now have the same modern look as the new Profit & Loss, Balance Sheet, and Statement of Cash Flows.
- Local time recognition - The reporting engine in KitchenSync now takes into account your computer's local time when stock reporting options like 'Last Week' are selected.
- Simpler financial statement exports - We cleaned up the Profit & Loss, Balance Sheet, and Statement of Cash Flows exports (PDF & excel) to give them a more modern look and make them easier to read. Check out the new formatting by clicking the rightward facing arrow at the top of each report. Note that the exports will automatically save to your 'downloads' folder.
- Performance upgrades to new 'Purchase History' report - Our new Purchase History report, which details all of your line item purchase data by product, purchase date, vendor, invoice, etc., was loading slowly because of the amount of data being pushed to the interface all at one time. To improve load times, purchase data now loads in pages. Use the dropdown to set the number of items to be displayed on each page.
- Improved date filtering for 'Sales by Menu Category' and 'Sales by Revenue Center' reports - These reports, which used to be limited to displaying only two weeks of data at once, have gotten a major upgrade, allowing users to quickly visualize data for any flexible date range and several pre-set date filters.
- Inventory App (v1) - Say goodbye to the outdated spreadsheets, expensive standalone apps, and tedious data entry that used to define your inventory process. You can now leverage your detailed purchase histories, already available in KitchenSync, to build inventory templates and complete inventory counts in minutes. Note: Inventory functionality is being released in phases and may not be available to all users prior to March 31. Contact your account manager for your restaurant’s specific release date and to schedule a training session.
- Time Clock Sync for Toast, Revel, & Breadcrumb - Toast, Revel, and Breadcrumb users can now update KitchenSync timecards with the push of a button. Simply fix your missed punches and break times directly in your POS system, click 'Sync' in KitchenSync, and your payroll is ready to approve. Don’t have a cloud-based POS system yet? KitchenSync users are eligible for up to $500 off Toast implementations. Contact us if you’re interested.
- Statement of Cash Flows - As the link between your Profit & Loss and Balance Sheet, our new Statement of Cash Flows shows you exactly how your money is moving in and out of your accounts. Ever wonder why your profitable operation is draining your bank account? Wonder no more. Note: The Statement of Cash Flows is being released in phases and may not be available to all users prior to February 15.
- Profit & Loss Viewing Options - We have upgraded KitchenSync's Profit & Loss statement with simplified date and comparison filters. Quickly check how you're tracking against as many prior years or prior periods as you'd like or limit the view to a single column of data.
- QuickBooks Integration - New subscribers can now leverage KitchenSync's online reporting and payroll platform without fully outsourcing their bookkeeping operations. For the do-it-yourselfers that don't share our love for Xero, we now offer a fully-functional Quickbooks Online (QBO) integration. Tap our team to connect your favorite systems and automate the daily flow of information.
- Text Message Support - Have a quick question? Need a quick answer? Our support team now supports SMS texting in addition to phone and email support. Just save our main number, (424) 248-9289, and use it however you'd like. Keep in mind that our support system will not recognize your phone number the first time you send a text, so please include your name and restaurant name with your first text.
Adjustable Tip Credits - If you operate in a state that allows you to deduct a tip credit from your tipped employees' wages, you now have the ability to dictate the maximum amount to be deducted per employee per hour. Previously, selecting the tip credit option for an employee would automatically deduct the state maximum.
Moving forward, KitchenSync will default to your state's maximum deduction when you apply the tip credit; but gives you the flexibility to choose a lesser deduction if you intend to pay an employee a higher effective wage rate.
Payroll 'Submit' Button - In order to confirm that you and your team have finalized all of your payroll adjustments for each pay period, we have added a 'Submit' button to the Payroll Summary screen. Clicking the button, which is now required to run payroll, will automatically check your mapping screen to ensure that all new employees in the POS have been added to payroll.
Note that our payroll team will begin processing your payroll as soon as you submit it. If you need to make changes after submitting, please contact support via text or email.
- Backdated Employee Terminations - Were you rushing to get payroll approved last week and forgot to log a termination? Don't worry, KitchenSync now allows payroll administrators to enter termination dates as far back as the last day of your prior payroll period. Entering backdated terminations will ensure that salaried former employees are not accidentally paid for part of the current payroll period.
Shift Notes (formerly 'Manager's Log') Improvements - We have given one of our most underutilized features a bit of a revamp to make it more user friendly. Now you can save and edit unfinished Shift Notes entries without sending them out to management. Enter and save your shift notes as they're fresh in your mind and submit them all at once post-shift.
Did you know? The fields and shift names in the Shift Notes app are completely flexible. Just click 'Setup' in the top right of your screen to make changes.
Adding New Employees in KitchenSync - We have streamlined the process for entering new employees by introducing the first version of our 'New Employee Wizard'. When you select New Employee from any screen in the payroll module, KitchenSync will walk you through a quick process to capture all of the necessary information and to ensure that your POS timecard is appropriately mapped.
This is just one step that we are taking towards making employee management more efficient in KitchenSync. Our team is hard at work exploring employee self-onboarding and other time-saving features that we hope to introduce soon.
Tip Clearing Button - For restaurants that pool tips outside of KitchenSync and enter them once per pay period, we have added a Clear Tips button to the Employee Tips screen. Hitting this button will give you a clean slate to enter the results of your employee tip pool.
Don't forget... You have the ability avoid data entry altogether by exporting approved hours from KitchenSync and importing the results of your tip pool directly. If you need help setting up your tip pool spreadsheet for importing and exporting, just reply to this email with your tip sheet attached and our support team will help you out.
Over the coming months, we will also be starting development on an automated tip pooling feature to make payroll even faster.
- Accessing Bills from the Applications Tab - We have finished the re-integration of Bill.com with KitchenSync to allow users to access vendor invoices directly from the Applications Tab without a second set of credentials. The Bill.com mobile app still requires a direct login, which we are happy to provide to your team upon request.
Managing Tips in KitchenSync - To simplify the treatment of tips in KitchenSync's payroll module, we scrapped the fields for 'Cash Tips' and 'Credit Card Tips' and replaced them with 'Payroll Tips' and 'Paid Out Tips'.
Starting today, be sure to enter the total of all tips already paid out to employees in cash in the 'Paid Out Tips' field. These tips will NOT be added to the employees' paychecks, but will be considered for tax purposes. Enter all tips that SHOULD BE paid out on the payroll checks into the 'Payroll Tips' field.
Note: Our account managers have already mapped your cash tips, credit card tips, and declared tips from your POS to the new KitchenSync payroll fields for automatic population.
Live Profit & Loss Statements and Balance Sheets - Now that we have completed our real-time integration with Xero, your Profit & Loss and Balance Sheet can now be viewed at all times right on KitchenSync. Forget logging into your accounting software to see updates between reporting periods. This live sync will give you the most up-to-date figures, which include your back office team’s daily reconciliation entries.
To access these reports: Click the REPORTS tab and expand the FINANCE & ACCOUNTING section
- Updated Weekly Performance Emails - Your Weekly Performance Report just got a makeover. The new version now includes a full analysis of your weekly purchases and a daily breakdown of labor costs, including salaries.
- Complete Integration with Revel POS - Our integration with Revel, the iPad point-of-sale system, is now complete! Transaction-level sales activity and employee timecards will now seamlessly flow from Revel to KitchenSync in near real-time, combining your POS activity with all of your fully-managed accounting data.
Minimum Wage Updates - With the new year came new minimum wage increases. Totally not our fault; but we have you covered anyways. All previously entered employees were automatically updated in the labor module to keep you in compliance with state-specific requirements. Here is a breakdown of the minimum-wage updates:
- New York: $9.00 per hour (effective 12/31/15)
- California: $10.00 per hour (effective 1/1/16)
- San Francisco: $13.00 per hour (effective 7/1/16)
- Massachusetts: $10.00 per hour (effective 1/1/16)
- Hawaii: $8.50 per hour (effective 1/1/16)
- Montgomery County: $10.75 per hour (effective 10/1/16)
- New York Tip Credit Max is now $1.50 (tipped employees need to get $7.50/hr)
- Massachusetts Tip Credit Max is now $6.65 (tipped employees need to get $3.35/hr)
- California does not allow tip credit.
Visual Tracking of Guest & Check Averages - Compare current check averages and guest averages against prior periods, prior years or prior five week averages.
To access this report: Click the REPORTS tab and expand the FINANCE & ACCOUNTING tab
Easily Map New Employees From your POS to Payroll - Previously, when a new employee was entered into your POS system, it would automatically create an employee record in KitchenSync’s payroll module. For many integrated POS systems, this resulted in duplicate payroll records for employees with multiple positions or with abbreviated names in the POS.
Now, you have a simple mapping screen to help you match new employee records from your POS system to the correct employees in payroll. Just look out for the unmapped employee flag when running payroll to make sure nobody’s POS hours get missed. Need some help with mapping? Check out our step-by-step guide or shoot us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please sign in to leave a comment.